Monday, June 20, 2011

While Joe was gone

Joe was gone as most of you know for almost a month. I thought our life was just going to stop without him here. The children and I missed him very much. I can’t imagine how Britney was away from Jason for so long. However, I do know that at some point when you are serving the Lord you do have to make some sacrifices. As long as it brings the Lord glory that’s all that matters t o me.
The day before Joe left our washer kind of broke. What a way to start his going away. Then the next day when he left someone stole our chicken. Then to top all things off the kitchen sink broke. I guess you can say that God had given the kids and I a lot to pray about, which helped pass the time.
God had given the kids and I plenty of opportunity to serve him in Joes absence. Saturday mornings we had a feeding at the Bible School. Monday is English study; Wednesday is midweek service and Sunday service. I had the privilege to teach women’s midweek study. That was such a blessing. Thank you Lord for using me in such a mighty. Not only were we kept busy serving the Lord, we had school to finish up for this year. The kids are doing great in school. Joey is continuing to excel in his history, Jacob is working really hard on his English, Tyler is moving very quickly in his math and Marissa is doing such an amazing job with her reading. This next year coming up the kids will enter into grade 7, 5, 3, and 1.Pray for us as we are starting a curriculum this year.
Also during the time Joe was gone a member from the church had come to me and asked for me to pray for a family member whose son had just died. Of course I prayed and I was asked to go to the hospital with them to plead for the body of the child back, as they had owed for the medical care they received. So the kids and I went to the hospital and I met the family outside and to my surprise they had the baby locked outside by the trash. I was taken back, you can’t believe the feelings that I felt in that moment. At that very moment my heart broke for the 19 year old girl. I walked over to her; she was just standing there in a dead stare. Did God ever so use that moment for me to share with her about her savior and that her baby was with him at that very moment. After that we went inside to see what we could do they had half of the money they needed to pay the hospital. There is one thing I have learned from the culture here is that everything is up for negotiation. The other church member which is her Aunt and myself proceeded to plead with the financial Dept.They wouldn’t budge, not even with half of the money. We went before the Lord in pray right there in front of everyone. We were able to talk the doctor into dropping some of her fees. Then the hospital dropped some of their fees which were a huge blessing. Then after some intense negotiating or should I say arguing with them they agreed to release the body, on the terms of half the money a promissory note with collateral. We could not find a ride home from the hospital no one will transport a dead body. They have some superstitions about it. So the police dept.was willing to give us a ride in a vehicle they use to transport prisoners. The family was able to raise all the funds by that evening. That night was the funeral and we were expected to be there. The family had no money to embalm the body so they needed to bury the next day. I think the hardest thing that I have had to deal with here is death. In our culture we don’t deal with the bodies or have to build the coffin or clean and dress the body. You defiantly look at death differently. From my observation there is more closure. Either way God was glorified through this situation by answering our prayers for that family.
Well, that was the highlight of things that happened when Joe was gone. He is now home and we were at the airport waiting for him when he arrived. A six hour journey to the airport was the least we could do to see him sooner. Thank you to all that took excellent care of my husband. Again thank you all for the prayers and support that is given to our family and the work of the ministry. May God have all the glory for all that he does in and through our lives. God Bless!
So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.
1 Cor.3:7

Pray Needs
Please pray that God will continue to grow in the hearts of the people in the Philippines and they would come to repentance.
Pray for the upcoming school year for us.
Pray for God to prepare us now for our big move coming up. We leave Aug 23 to Thailand.
Pray for our health.
That we would continue to grow in the Lord and to have that thirst that only he can fill.

Praise God for Joe returning to us safely. Praise God for all of his provision. Praise God for all of you!

1 comment:

  1. broncogal2@yahoo.comJune 20, 2011 at 8:37 AM

    Good Morning,
    Sarahm you had a very eventful time while Joe was busy here. We thank you for allowing him to do some of God's work here in the good old USA. We had a short but good time with him - as always. I'm not sure I would have been able to do what you did at the hospital but then when God is with us we can accomplish what ever He has given us to do. Keep up the good work and our prayers are with you. God Bless

    ReplyDelete